Thursday, September 27, 2007

Chicken Enchiladas

1 tsp. salt
2 C. cubed chicken, cooked
1 can tomatoes and green chilies
garlic powder to taste

Simmer above until most of the liquid is gone. Soften 12 corn tortillas (my family prefers flour) in hot oil and blot out excess oil w/paper towels. Fill with chicken mixture and roll up in greased 9x13 pan. (At this point, enchiladas may be covered tightly and refrigerated for later).

Sauce:
2 C. half and half
3 tsp. instant chicken bouillon
1 1/2 C. grated monterey jack cheese

Dissolve together over LOW heat (cheese will curdle if heat is too high--if it does put it in a blender to get it smooth again).
Pour sauce over enchiladas. Sprinke another HALF CUP of monterey jack cheese over all and back at 350 for 15-20 min.

Addendum: I have no patience or time for rolling up enchiladas that may or may not hold their shape. SO, I make the whole thing like a casserole. Not as pretty but tastes exactly the same. I omit the part about soaking the tortillas in oil and I take them and cut them up or tear them up into bite size pieces. I mix this with the filling mixture and dump it into the pan. Then I pour the sauce over all and sprinkle with cheese.

No comments: