Sunday, May 4, 2008

Eskimo Joe's Honey Mustard

YEARS and YEARS ago I used to work at Eskimo Joe's as a waitress while I was in college. For those of you who do not live in Oklahoma and do not know about this place it is a really cool place to eat in Stillwater, OK. It was a lot of fun to work there, too. Well, they had this scrumptious honey mustard salad dressing that they offered and I got hooked on it! One day when I was working, I asked one of the prep cooks if he would give me the recipe to the honey mustard (they make it by the 5 gallon buckets from scratch). He told me that if he gave it to me he would have to kill me and then he pointed to the binder that the recipe was stored in and looked the other way!! You didn't get this information from me! :)

5 c. spicy mustard
3/4 c. white vinegar
2 tsp onion salt
2 tsp red pepper flakes
7 TBSP yellow mustard
9 c. mayo
4 c. light karo syrup
5 c. honey
4c. salad oil

Mix first 5 ingredients. Add last 4 ingredients. Blend well.

Okay, okay! So you probably don't want to make 5 gallons of this stuff! Here's what I have when it's divided by 4:

1 1/4 c. spicy mustard
.1875 c. (little less than 1/4 c.) white vinegar
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 3/4 TBSP yellow mustard
2 1/4 c. mayo
1 c. light karo syrup
1 1/4 c. honey
1 c. salad oil

(This fills a couple of mason jars)

If you get a chance you should read up on the restaurant's history it's pretty fun!

No comments: