Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Whole Wheat Bread



This recipe is my adaptation of a recipe that I got from my friend Jen. Thank you, Jen!
Pure, unadulterated, whole wheat bread.

Brew~ I do this part in a coffee mug and set it to the side to 'cure'.
1 Tbsp. Yeast (I use Instant Dry Yeast bought in bulk at Sam's)
1/4 c. warm water
1 Tbsp. sugar

The next steps I do in my 4qt KitchenAid mixer. Use the dough hook and don't go above speed 2... it will burn out your motor.

Mix the following before adding the yeast mixture:
3 cups warm water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup oil (i use canola oil but you can use olive oil)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar or honey
3 Tbsp. wheat gluten
4 cups whole wheat flour

Add yeast to this mixture.

While the mixer is on add about 4 more cups of whole wheat flour half a cup at a time (you might need 1/2 cup less or 1/2 cup more). You will have enough flour when the dough is clinging to the hook and cleaning the sides of the bowl. The dough will be slightly sticky. Continue to let it knead on speed 2 for about 2 minutes.

At this time I dump it onto my kitchen counter and knead it one or two rounds just to make the dough soft and round. Spray the inside of a large bowl with cooking spray and plop that dough right into it. Cover with a towel and set somewhere warm (with no draft) to rise. I put it on my dryer while I'm doing laundry.

Let it rise 1 hour. Or until doubled in size.

Punch down the dough. Separate into 3 equal parts and form each into a loaf. Place them into loaf pans that have been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.

Cover again and let rise another hour. It should be doubled in size or just over the rim of the pan.

Place in a preheated 350* oven. Cook for about 45-50 minutes.

I melt some butter and brush it on top of the loaves so that the crust is soft. And then I cut it into slices with my electric knife.

THEN... we inhale every piece.

note:
This bread can be made just as easy by hand if you do not have a mixer... that's how I did it for a long time. After adding 2 or 3 additional cups of flour dump it on the counter and add the remaining flour by kneading it in. Knead for 5 to 10 minutes.

No comments: