Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Three Bean Soup


There are a couple of foods that I think, at least hypothetically, I could live on. This is one of them. It is a thick and hearty soup with a bite. It tastes good with sour cream and grated cheese and tortillas on the side. I have a friend who took this recipe and uses it for tortilla chip dip.

1 T. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced

Saute garlic in olive oil, then add:

2 cans (14 oz each) diced tomatoes
24 oz. bottled salsa (fresh is good too)
8 oz. tomato sauce
3 cubes beef bouillon
2 cans (15 oz each) black beans
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans kidney beans
1 can olives, drained and sliced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1-2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped finely

Heat through.

I sometimes modify by adding jalapeno and diced onion. I also like more beans and since I usually cook them up, it's easy to add more.

I just made a huge pot of this (see picture above, don't you love the effect the steam gives?) and I get it almost all to myself!!

4 comments:

Steph said...

This sounds delicious!!!

Shelley Capener said...

Cindi, I got this recipe from you ages ago. It is one of my family's favorites! I use it as a dip also. If I tell my kids it's soup then they won't eat it but if I give them chips and tell them it's a dip, they LOVE it! Also, when I have to take a 'dinner' to someone, this is so easy to take and very filling. Thanks for reminding me about it; we haven't had it in a long while!

Megan Finlay said...

I'm excited to try this...I'm putting it on next weeks menu. Do you drain the canned beans? Would it work using dried beans?

Megan Finlay said...

I finally made it this week and it is sooo good. It was also extremely fast and easy to make, so a great one to have often. I just left out the olives since we're not fans of them in our house.