Friday, January 23, 2009

Chicken Flavored Rice Mix

I was asked to bring some kind of flavored rice to a funeral. I really had never made a flavored rice and I'm not a big fan of Rice-O-Roni. So, I went to AllRecipes (my absolute go-to recipe finder) and poked around. I came across this recipe that turned out delicious! Thought I would share!

INGREDIENTS

* 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
* 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
* 3 teaspoons dried celery flakes
* 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
* 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 2 cups water

DIRECTIONS

In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

To prepare rice: In a saucepan, saute rice in butter until lightly browned. Add water and about 1/4 cup of seasoning mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Yield: 4-6 servings.

FOOTNOTE: I did not have the granules or the celery flakes so I just used chicken broth for the water and I had celery salt that I used instead of the flakes.

No comments: