Sunday, December 23, 2007

Amy's Monkey Bread

My friend, Amy Routt, made this for us one year when we spent New Year's with them in Arkansas. They are to die for! If you don't want them TOO sweet and gooey, you can decrease all the 3/4's to 1/2 but keep the number of biscuits the same. Everyone loves this monkey bread at my house on Christmas morning. Make sure it all gets eaten 'cause it doesn't keep well for leftovers.

2 cans of Jumbo sized biscuits

3/4 C. vanilla ice-cream, melted
OR
3/4 C. liquid coffee creamer...I like vanilla caramel or french vanilla

3/4 C. melted butter
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. brown sugar

Cut each biscuit into fourths and put all biscuits, uncooked, into large plastic ziploc bag with cinnamon sugar mixture. Shake bag to coat biscuits with cinnamon sugar and then dump all the biscuits in a greased 9x13 pan.

Melt butter and ice-cream in saucepan. (If using creamer in place of ice-cream, just melt butter alone).
Add sugars and creamer, if using, and heat and stir until all sugar is dissolved.
Pour over biscuits.

The instructions say to bake at 400 degrees for 15 min. I don't know if it's my oven or what...this does not work for me. At only 15 min. the biscuits in the middle of the pan are still doughy. Then I cook it longer and the biscuits on the outside edges get too done. I've tried cooking longer but at a lower temp. and this seems to work out better. You guys are just going to have to guess at it and keep a close watch.

No comments: